How to Un-Shrink Clothing

Today is a major lifestyle hack I’ve been doing since my college days. The easy way to Un-Shrink clothes. This only takes 35 minutes!
The backstory as to why this post is on the blog is the other night my husband added some of my whites to his laundry. When I was placing all the clean whites into the closet I noticed one of my tops went from a 'boyfriend style' tank to a short tank. Below you’ll see steps and photos! Enjoy.

Here’s the tank and the tank next to another so you can see how much shorter the top is:
I love this tank. It’s from American Eagle and perfect tucked into High waist shorts or jeans. Sadly, didn’t know how easy it shrinks in the wash.
Here’s a comparison to a similar tank top. As you can see the top shrunk A LOT at the bottom but also the sides and arm area tighten up. 


Step One: Collect the items you’ll need. The garment, a conditioner of your choice, a tablespoon used for measuring, a bowl or bucket, and lukewarm water. 

Step Two: Measure out 1 tablespoon of conditioner and put it into the lukewarm water. Mix the contents with your hands and/or the spoon till the water has a thick milky like texture from the conditioner. *You can use any brand of conditioner* *You can use a bowl, bucket, or sink!*

 I selected my conditioner from the shower and grabbed my spoons to measure.

Measure out 1 whole tablespoon. I filled it to the top and then pressed it down to make sure it was exactly 1 TBS.
With lukewarm water in a bowl I pour the conditioner in and start to stir with the spoon and my hand to break down some of the lumps of conditioner.
Once you mix for few seconds -1 minute and you can tell the conditioner is broken down (less clumpy) and the water looks thick you’re set for step 3!

Step 3: With your hands press the garment into the lukewarm conditioner water. Make sure the garment is FULLY submerged into the water. Then set an alarm for 30 minutes! *If you accidentally go over 30 minutes its okay! I’ve went 2 hours before.*
My fully submerged top in the lukewarm water. I mash it once or twice to make sure the entire garment is wet.

Setting the alarm for 30 minutes on my phone. While the top is soaking this is a good time to start prepping an area for your top to dry at and a clean sink or tub to wash the garment. 

Step Four: Times up! Take the garment to the area you plan to stretch and wash. Once you remove the garment from the lukewarm water start stretching to your desired goals. If you only want to focus on one area just stretch that spot. For me, I stretched all around. Simply pull on the garment (your arms might get tired after a bit
*there’s no time limit on how long or how much to stretch, its up to you. I spent about 5 minutes working my top to make sure its back to the relaxed boyfriend fit*

Step Five: Once stretched wash out all the conditioner by hand (no need to use soap). Then hang the garment wherever is best for you so it can HANG DRY. 
I decided to stretch and hand wash my top in the special wash tub our washing machine has. 
After stretched and washed I decided to hang the top over my sink so the extra water can drip out naturally. As you can see the top already looks longer than the first photo!

FINAL RESULTS! 
As you can see my top is not nearly as short fitting as the first photo at the top! 

Here’s a comparison to the tank top in the beginning. The white tank is back to the longer “boyfriend” style fit it was when I purchased! 
Hope this helps anyone who had a garment shrink in the wash!
- Pomp and Palms

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sold My Car - Now What?!

Yes, you read the title correctly… I sold my Jeep Patriot. I loved that car so much and wow it was my first big purchase on my own. I drove ...