Selling Fashion Items on Apps + Secondhand Stores


Now that we’re near the end of summer and ‘Back to School’ + Fall shopping is about to begin everyone is going through their closets to find what items they can part ways with. For me, I have quite a few long sleeve/cold weather gear from NC that I no longer need now that I’m living in FL. Most end up selling their items to Plato’s Closet and secondhand boutiques or apps like Thread up, Mercari, Poshmark, Instagram, etc. 
Today’s post is getting the nitty gritty on how to determine what’s best to sell to a secondhand store/app, the proper etiquette for app selling, and some pointer on how to make the buy feel appreciated! I’ll include the websites if you want to read additional information or leave a question in the comment box below!
What do I do? I start with selling on an app and after 2-3 weeks I take the items to a store, whatever is remaining gets donated! I only sell my goods on Poshmark. It’s an app I’m comfortable using and I like how they do discount shipping days or the option for the seller to pay shipping.

Selecting and prepping
Selecting items best to sell is very important. Secondhand stores only want gently used and name brand (Secondhand stores are SUPER picky!) They only sell what’s currently being sold in malls so something from 2015 isn’t going to make the cut. Selling on apps is more flexible for aged items. BUT You just HAVE to be honest. If it’s from a few years ago, very worn or a vintage piece, mention it. Honesty is important on selling apps. Also on selling apps you need to take good quality photos. If the dress is missing a button show the area the button is gone. If the top has a snag (please) show it.
What do I do???? For secondhand stores. I wash with gentle detergent and no perfumes (smells can be a turn down!). I use my college days retail folding skills and fold everything neatly, then place all the goods in a large tote bag. On selling apps I always hang my items on a brown wooden hanger and have a white backdrop. If it has to lie flat I use a neutral color background. I take pictures of the size tag and the care label. For lighting, I open my blinds and turn on my overhead light + lamp. I DO NOT use any filters for that can be misleading. In the description I give as many details as possible (size, mesaurements, fabric contents/care, how many times it was worn, etc).



It’s sold!
If you sell some goods congrats! In store make your choice on accepting or declining their offer. Always thank the associate! On selling apps you have to print and package the item then mail it out. Most selling apps give you 2 days to mail and then you’ll be notified via email that the person is waiting.
What do I do??? In store I almost always accept the offer. I have declined before. On selling apps I immediately print the label and prepare the package. I hand write thank you cards (I also enjoy adding an extra gift!), I fold the item, and wrap everything in my color scheme tissue paper and stick a cute sticker to keep it all in place. I have on my posh-page my selling info which is what the buyer to expect. I always mail same day until 3pm central time and if sold by 11am central time Saturday it’ll be mailed on Monday morning. I make a detailed ‘selling info’ so the buyer will know when the item is sent out and its my way of keeping my busy life in balance. 


Below is the 4 steps I use when mailing out an item I sold!


 Step 1: Collect the sold item, tissue wrappings, shipping label and everything else I need to package! Today I'm showing how I mail out a top. As you can see the top is folded nicely. 
Step 2: fill out the thank you card! I always write something sweet like "Thank you for your purchase. Enjoy ____". When I can, I include a present & my blog handle.
Step 3: Neatly fold and wrap the item. I use a sticker to hold the tissue wrapping in place. If the box is big I add some bubble wrap to keep the product from moving.
Step 4: When posting the shipping label I make sure the box I use has all barcodes removed or "X'ed" out to prevent shipping confusion. 

When do you see that money?
In store you get the money immediately. On selling apps the buyer has to accept the package and then the money will be placed into your app bank account. You can withdraw the money via direct deposit, in a check form, or use the money to buy off the site! Deposit and check times vary. 

My package is missing?
If you use a selling app and the buyer notifies you that the package isn’t on their doorstep and it’s tracking info says it’s arrived THEY must contact the selling app’s help desk. Once the item is scanned out the seller ISN’T responsible for it.
Has this happened to me? Yes, Sadly I have had a package go missing. What happens is Poshmark still gave me my earnings and refunded the buyer. It’s a longer process on collecting the earnings because Poshmark has to contact the post office and contact the buyer. 

What if I’m selling luxury goods?
If you’re selling luxury items to a secondhand store bring proof (receipt from the store, the dust bag, item serial number, etc). You have to sell to the consignment associate that the item is 100% authentic.
If you’re selling luxury items on a selling app take photographs of your receipt from the store, the accessories that came with the luxury good, item number, etc. Selling apps provide shipping insurance on luxury goods and they have the item shipped to the apps HQ to be viewed before giving the item to the buyer. It’s "a proof of authenticity" test. It's an extra step to make sure the buyer is getting what she/he is paying for. 


And there you have it! If you have any additional questions feel free to message me below,send me a private message on my instagram (you can click this link!), or use the links below to view the app websites help page!



For more information on selling to Platos Closet view their website here.
For more information on selling to Poshmark view their website here.
For more information on selling to Mercari view their website here.
Form more information on selling to Thread Up view their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sold My Car - Now What?!

Yes, you read the title correctly… I sold my Jeep Patriot. I loved that car so much and wow it was my first big purchase on my own. I drove ...