2021 Fashion Trends



Hello Darlings! It’s a new year and that always entails new fashion trends. I know many of us adore the opportunity for new trends and some of us feel a bit uneasy. The biggest complaint I see about fashion trends is that trends are simply unnecessary. For me, fashion trends isn't “going out and buying a new wardrobe” - that’s a cost I cant afford! Fashion trends in my opinion is the opportunity to take something new, fun, and different into my current wardrobe to give it a fresh look for a small window in time. 
My tip is to never invest a lot into ‘trend pieces’ because trends tend to live and fizzle out within 12 months to maybe 3 years. For example the bumbag is all the rage currently but I would NEVER drop 1.6k on the Louis Vuitton one because the trend is set to fizz out within the next year or so. The only time I would invest top dollar into a trend is if I plan to incorporate that trend into my permanent wardrobe or that trend is necessary for my permanent style

I decided today to round up the Top Trends I see for 2021 as well as mention a couple 2021 Trends I WILL NOT be taking part in. Of course, this is my insight on what I believe the trends are from watching the runway shows, what designers on social media are showcasing, and casually shopping online - but the fashion world can (quite literally) change in an instant!
PS: Don’t forget at the bottom of the page will be a carousel of all the items pictured and mentioned on todays post! 
 
Trend 1: Elevated Loungewear

This trend started around Spring 2020 and its definitely paved its way into 2021 as well due to the uncertainty of the global situation. Many of us are working from home OR spending a lot more of our free time at home due to social distancing - therefore the trend of comfy loungewear has became a staple in everyones wardrobe. The difference of 2020 loungewear and 2021 is the luxury designers have created more elevated looks where you can still be comfy-cozy but have the ensemble more structured or coordinated. So think ‘Planned’ loungewear. This could be pieces made of higher quality goods like cashmere or with beautiful detailing like ruffle ankle hems or pearl buttons. 

Trend 2: The Bralettes

Bralettes have been a staple in most teen and tween wardrobes but the trend of barrettes is showing up in more mature looks for 2021. These are of course thanks to the loungewear boom of 2020 but for this year you’ll see barrettes styled to be acceptable for both lounging or out n’ about. So think a cashmere bralette with a matching duster cardigan. For me personally, I’m not sure I’ll join this fashion trend and once everything gets back to normal - I feel like this trend will quickly die out.
Trend 3: Sweater Vest
All the cool kids are wearing these sweater vest and I’m personally not brave enough to wear them. In 2020 I noticed the more prep-school ivy league sweater vests but for 2021 the sweater vest has evolved to be more whimsical - you’ll find these with unique knitted details or beadwork. I can imagine these would style beautiful with a highwaist A-line skirt. 

Trend 4: Sustainability
This to me shouldn’t be a trend - we should all be doing this all the time. Big designers in 2020 made huge steps in sustainability like up cycling old fabrics to create new styles, bio degradable packaging, recycled coat hangers and more. For us we need to all step up with these fashion designers and start thinking smart for the planet. Luckily there’s countless ways we can. Shop small and local, shop second hand (there’s second hand thrift sites that are incredible + second hand designer websites), and recycle when able and cut out shopping fast fashion.
Trend 5: Monochrome 
Monochrome has made its comeback and it’s a total 90’s vibe that is fun, edgy, and bringing back that nostalgic feeling we all love. From black and white patterns or just wearing simple black pants with a white top. I’m seeing Monochrome everywhere from accessories, clothing, and even home decor. So think - black and white chekerboard handbags, black and white houndstooth pattern blouses, or black and white plaid skirts.   

Trend 6: All Neutral Tones 
Even better is Neutrals are still around and personally, I feel its becoming a classic look that will probably never go out of style. But for 2021 head-to- toe Neutral tone looks are in. This is where you create an entire look (from clothes to accessories) all in similar Neutral colors. Neutrals can range from shades of nude colors, to whites, and even blush pinks.
Trend 7: Historical Shapes
The past few years puff sleeve sweaters and necklines that are echoing a very historical style have been on the scene but for 2021 the dial was turned even more (and I’m all for it!). The 1940’s silhouettes like the ladylike style A-line skirts, button down tops, and elegant trench coats are everywhere. If you need 1940’s inspired clothing ideas look up old Hollywood films!
Also Corset pieces have influenced the runways thanks to the recent tv series we are all streaming. I’m curious to see how many people and brands adopt this unique look. 
Along with Historical Shapes the Volume from shoulders, skirts, and feminine style looks is in. 
For pants the wide leg Trousers and straight leg Trousers are the new jeans.
Capes are also making a comeback but will probably be more of a focal point in Autumn 2021. These will be very whimsical and countryside style. You’ll most likely see this in outerwear and formalwear. If you want to make a bold fall/winter 2021 statement I highly suggest the Cape trend!

Trend 8: Ladylike Twist 
This is a strange but cool trend where you take the pieces that are ultra ladylike (so think that A-line skirt or a soft floral printed dress) and add a twist to it. This can be a leather jacket, combat boots, Chelsea boots, or even twist it up with some bolder accessories.

For Jewelry in 2021 you’ll see a lot more pearls with natural detailing (think oddly shaped natural pearls instead of manufactured perfectly round bleech white pearls) 
You’ll also see heavy chain and metal pieces in neckwear and bracelets. 

Trends in 2021 I’m not following.  
Trend 1: Netting
Netting is everywhere for 2021- this netting isn’t fishnet tights but literally leather shoes with laser netting cut out design or tops and dresses made of a netting style fabric overtop of a slip dress. Its a style I cant envision myself in. * but today I saw one of my favorite IG "secondhand designer resale" pages show a pair of Hermes boots in this design - it was $3k! 

Trend 2: All Over Prints
All Over Prints started making its way last year when many designer made their all over logo handbag patterns onto fashion pieces like tops and jackets. For 2021 you’ll see all over prints in suit sets and in dresses with matching overcoats. 

Trend 3: Platform Flip Flops
Yes, flipflops with a platform heel. Please don’t get on board with this. Flip flops are for the pool or gym showers only. 

Trend 4: Tie Dye

Tie Dye rolled into the scene in 2019 for Coachella and started becoming bigger and bigger in 2020 due to the stay at home/social distancing. Many people found making tie dye as a fun hobby that brought creativity to a boring day. But for me tie dye has become extremely overplayed and is more popular for teen/tweens on ticktock and less for the age 30 and up audience - we should avoid this trend unless we’re attending a Jimmy Buffet beach concert.

Shop The Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sold My Car - Now What?!

Yes, you read the title correctly… I sold my Jeep Patriot. I loved that car so much and wow it was my first big purchase on my own. I drove ...