Prevent Sun Burns & Treatment Tips


Sun burns are the worst. Living in an area like Destin I see ALL THE TIME vacationers entering restaurants and their sunburns are ruby red (ouchhh!!). I get asked by vacationers "how do locals prevent burns?" (some joke that we must be immune to the sun) which the funny thing is, we are (sort of). Today I'll give you the tips on how the Floridians keep from burning so you can enjoy your summer vacations without burns!

How to prevent sun burns from a Floridian:
1. Wear SPF.
This IS the most important. SPF doesn’t mean having that chalky white sunscreen on your nose! SPF's in lots of beauty products + many sunscreen products are invisible & non greasy. My favorite sunscreen to use is Banana Boat Sport Performance in the “cool zone”. This sunscreen has a cooling sensation that feels amazing especially in the hot sun.

2. Hats are trendy.
Straw hats, floppy sunhat, sports ball cap, or even tie a scarf around your head to prevent scalp sunburns. If you can’t get a hat on try to at least sunscreen your scalp.

3. Invest in a nice pair of sunglasses.
Your Ray-Ban shades do more than protect eyes from the sun. Your shades also protect the sensitive skin around your eyes and eyelids. Cheap shades are great for the time being, but if you're living in an area with a lot of sun invest in a nice pair with good UV protection and polarized.

4. Purchase clothes that have UPF!
UPF is the best. I have so many pieces of clothing and swimwear that has UPF. (If you're not sure what UPF means its Ultraviolet Protection Factor.  Example: UPF 50 allows just 1/50th of the sun's UV radiation to reach the skin. Higher the UPF the greater the protection!

5. Find some shade.
Find a shade tree, a beach umbrella, shaded gazebo, etc. When eating outside at a beachside restaurant make sure the waiter opens an umbrella for you.

6. Plan to be inside during the hottest part of the day.
Biggest thing that the locals do is stay indoors when its the hottest outdoors. From 11-2:30/3pm I’m almost always inside. My beach trips + pool side chills always happen early in the morning or later in the afternoon. I promise you, you'll never find a local out on the beach at 1pm on a Saturday! 

What to do if you have a sunburn?
1. Aloe.
The first thing you do is run to the nearest store and buy a container of that green Aloe gel. If you use this every few hours for a day or two your burn will disappear! MAJOR TIP: put the Aloe in the fridge. The coolness will help with that ‘heat’ feeling from the burn.

2. Stay out of the sun.
Once you get a sunburn stay out of the sun. If you continue to expose it to the sun it'll (obviously) keep getting worse and you could get sun poisoning. My mother got sun poisoning and was admitted into the ER cause of it. Sun poisoning is VERY serious and harmful to your body.

3. Tight clothes, no go.
Don’t wear anything tight or that rubs the sunburn. Your skin needs to breathe and heal. When we’ve had sunburns we end up trading in our strappy dresses for a boyfriend fit cotton tees.

4. No products that’ll make your skin irritated.
Bathbombs, perfumes, some makeup products, even chlorine pools. Avoid exposing the burn to anything that’ll irritate. 


5. Don't itch the sunburn.
The worst is when your sunburn starts to itch. As tempting it might be... DON'T itch it. I've seen friends who ended up with scars from itching a burn. Continue applying Aloe gel or a lotion without fragrance to get moisture into your skin.

6. Drink water.
I have no idea why, but when I get a sunburn I feel like I need more water in my body. The water helps with removing toxins but also putting moisture back into your skin too.

My Favorite Sunscreen!!! The cooling sensation feels amazing in the hot sun. Also non greasy & comes in SPF 30 & 50!
My go-to product if I get a sunburn. Apply generous amount every 3-4 hours and your sunburn will be gone in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sold My Car - Now What?!

Yes, you read the title correctly… I sold my Jeep Patriot. I loved that car so much and wow it was my first big purchase on my own. I drove ...